Everyone will tell you that practical, hands-on experience is a must for a successful career. But finding the internship that fits the bill is easier said than done. Many companies seek a candidate with more skills than da Vinci, yet the position is no more than file-organizing and email-answering.
So instead of torturing you with another cookie-cutter job description, we D Custom interns put together something a little different. Before you submit your carefully crafted resumes and cover letters (pro tip: proofread, proofread, proofread), take the quiz below to help you figure out if you’ve got what it takes to join the D Custom ranks.
1. Are you go-getting, detail-oriented, and determined?
- Yes — I jump at every opportunity.
- No — I prefer to sit on my couch all day.
The internships here are what you make them. Your managers are all about helping you set and reach goals, and the more you put in, the more your experience will mold to your unique career goals.
2. Does the sound of a Twitter notification give you a rush? How about the chance to help run D Custom’s social media platforms?
- Yes — I dream of Instagram captions weeks in advance.
- Social media who?
Internships here offer many opportunities to hone your hashtag skills — from writing Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn posts for clients to taking photos for the D Custom Instagram (@dcustommedia). You’ll leave with a newfound knack for creating engaging online content, both for yourself and your future employer.
3. Are you a team player? We’re not talking about the kind of person that expects a trophy or a gold star at the end of the day, but one that genuinely puts in the work.
- Yes — teamwork makes the dream work.
- I’m in it for myself, thanks.
Good communication skills and a team-player attitude make projects more exciting. You’ll likely spend part of your time here collaborating with your fellow interns to produce beneficial content for the agency (for example, we’re currently creating new landing pages for the D Custom website).
4. Are you a problem-solver who comes up with innovative solutions?
- Yes — I can work my way out of any corner.
- I mostly just steal jokes from the internet.
Original thinking is valued here. The D Custom environment thrives on breakthroughs and visionary thinking, and employees cheer when interns throws out ideas in meetings. Get ready to put your thinking cap on.
5. Do you want to work directly with clients to understand what they need?
- Yes — I want to hone my people skills with both clients and employees.
- Meh — I prefer to stay in my bubble, thanks.
With the editorial and marketing internship positions, interns gauge what audiences need and write meaningful, resourceful content to fit, often interviewing and working directly with them as a part of the process. The result is a variety of connections and plenty of published work to stuff your portfolio with.
6. Does working in the coolest building in Downtown Dallas surrounded by unlimited lunch options sound amazing?
- Sign me up.
- Wait — I have to leave my house for this?
The D Custom office is on the top floor of St. Paul Place in the heart of downtown, surrounded by plenty of cool spots to hang out for a coffee break or after-hours bite. Klyde Warren Park is down the street, trendy restaurants are on every corner, and the (free!) Dallas Museum of Art is right across the street.
7. Do learning the how-to’s of valuable content creation, professionalism, and marketing from an agency boasting 60-plus industry awards in the last five years sound interesting?
- Yes — I want to learn from the pros.
- I’m prefer those super-dated online tutorials, actually.
The gleaming award shelf that sits right across from our desks speaks for itself: D Custom knows how to cultivate extraordinary content, and anyone you ask is willing to share their wisdom. During your internship, you have the opportunity to meet with everyone in the agency, so come with your questions ready.
8. Would you value making connections with not just D Custom employees, but professionals from all corners of the D Magazine fam who care about every intern’s career success?
- Yes — I want the D fam to be my fam.
- Nah, I don’t need connections. I’m not even on LinkedIn.
Networking is an essential cornerstone of the D Custom internship experience. Not only are you able to meet with marketing professionals throughout the entire agency, but your managers will encourage you to reach out to everyone here at D Magazine Partners. Whether you want to pitch a story to D Magazine or learn the ropes of putting together a paper at People Newspapers, all doors are open, and opportunity is literally right around the corner.
9. Would you like to make some new best friends with fellow interns and coworkers?
- No new friends.
Having friends at work is half the fun of coming in every day. The D Custom team is a tight-knit community, and the result of great relationships across the staff (interns included!) is a productive and positive environment.
10. Do you want to join the D Custom team?
- Double yes!
Did you answer “yes” to the majority of these questions? Good job. Sounds like you could be a worthy candidate. The internship begins Wednesday, August 29, 2018, and you can submit your application through Friday, July 27, 2018. Good luck!